We hosted free, outdoor activities as the Aquarium celebrates World Oceans Day on Central Wharf on June 8. Kids loved all the hands-on activities, games and crafts. Our sustainable seafood cooking demonstrations were a big hit. Of course, there was also lots to learn about ocean animals and how each of us can live blue™ to help the oceans!
|Make your own sea jelly craft with our friends at Boston Harbor Cruises!|
Here's a list of all the free activities:
- Seafood cooking demonstrations with Aquarium’s Head Chef Bill Bradley, Josh Lewin from Bread and Salt, Peter McCarthy from EVOO and more! Featured species on the menu will be: Squid, trout and Pacific halibut
- Live appearance by Magic 106.7
- Opportunity to try on real water-survival suits
- Experiment with kelp and learn about its characteristics
- Design your own Hard Rock Guitar Save the Planet pin
- Enjoy free Ben & Jerry’s scoops
- An appearance by Calvin the life size inflatable right whale
- MIT SeaGrant ROV’s
- An Augmented Reality Sandbox
- Lots of arts and crafts
|Aquarium teens created this structure from recycled bottles—so much plastic.|
Use a reusable water bottle if you can!
Plus, we had exciting giveaways leading up to and during the event. Congratulations to our winners!
|In the days leading up to World Oceans Day, we gave away dozens of seats on |
DUCK Tours through an Instagram contest.
- Penguin painting – Maddie C.
- Signed Barton Seaver cookbook – Narda S.
|We collaborate with many groups to provide lots of information about our blue planet. Gorton's Seafood brought their lego sailor and helped families learn about sustainable seafood.|
Gorton’s Seafood "Guess How Many Legos" winner (2 Aquarium passes) – Angelina Camacho
Boston Harbor Cruise Whale Watch winners (family 4-pack) - Susan Chinsen and Dawn Coelin
Thanks to everyone who joined us!