|Look for the Aquarium's Cool Globe on the front plaza|
At the Aquarium, we're often talking about climate change. That's because the oceans are a leading indicator of climate change. They are affected by climate change, and they in turn affect the climate. As an ocean steward, the Aquarium supports important research on climate change and supports using the oceans as a source of information.
From buying fuel-efficient vehicles and choosing energy-saving appliances to exploring the aquatic world and choosing ocean-friendly seafood, there are lots of things that individuals can do to make a difference or, as we like to say, live blue™.
|A close-up of the beautiful images found on the Cool Globe|
The Cool Globe won't be here forever, so come enjoy this lovely art piece and consider the message behind it: Climate change is real and it's happening now, but there are ways you can make a difference!
Fun facts about our Cool Globe:
- It is about five feet in diameter.
- With its stand, the globe is 84 inches high.
- It weighs approximately 300 pounds, that's without the concrete base!
- The continents are about 3/4 inches high, with some relief around the coasts and along
- major rivers/mountain ranges.
- The globe is made of fiberglass that is 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick.
- According to the Boston Globe, there are 48 globes throughout the city, 26 at the Common alone.
Easy ways you can live blue™ for a healthy planet:
- Choose ocean-friendly seafood.
- Buy local and organic produce, coffee and other household products, or try growing some of your own produce.
- Drive a fuel-efficient, low-polluting car.
- Choose to walk, bike or take public transportation whenever practical.
- Install energy-saving thermostats in your home.
- Install energy-efficient light bulbs and appliances.
- Eliminate lawn pesticides and choose native plants for your garden.
- Stay well informed and vote with the environment in mind.
- Use your consumer power—learn about the environmental practices of companies you buy from.
- Inspire your friends and family to also take action.