Despite threatening skies, World Oceans Day festivities brightened the day for hundreds of visitors at the New England Aquarium on Sunday! Families gathered in our Harbor View Terrace tent for free games, hands-on learning and a chance to win fantastic prizes. (We'll be drawing names tomorrow, the official World Oceans Day, so check back here to see if you're a winner.)
Even the Boston Herald attended and snapped darling pictures of a smiling "hermit crab"!
Kids explored their artistic side by creating a group sculpture from discarded fishing gear and lobster pots.
A wet lab let Aquarium researchers show kids how some whales filter food from the ocean.
Kids took the controls of the Sea Perch underwater robot provided by Sailors for the Sea.
Aquarium chefs gave gourmets some tips on cooking sustainable seafood during a demonstration.
Thanks to everyone who participated and contributed to this fantastic event. Whether you attended or not, you can make oceans day every day. Show your support for protecting our oceans by claiming a virtual plot of ocean and pledging to live blue on the Aquarium’s Live Blue Initiative: http://www.liveblueinitiative.org/
Aquarium News and Updates
Bookmark and Share
Display press releases
Hi-res photo collection
Members can use this form to sign up for the exclusive SeaMail e-newsletter.
Sign up for email updates
- ► 2015 (80)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2013 (103)
- ► 2012 (85)
- ► 2011 (65)
- Making Connections: Science at the Aquarium's IMAX...
- A birthday fit for a queen (triggerfish)!
- Celebrating Sustainable Seafood
- Summer is Here! Beach Party and Fashion Show at Th...
- Oil Spill News Coverage of the New England Aquariu...
- Clouds and crowds for World Oceans Day!
- At Aquarium press conference, Rep. Markey talks ab...
- Weymouth Herring Run - A Job Well Done!
- ▼ June (8)
- ► 2009 (18)