Boston, Mass. - May 24, 2010
Dozens of cold-stunned sea turtles rescued from beaches along Cape Cod will not be returning to the Gulf of Mexico this summer. After several months of rehab at the Aquarium, they are healthy enough to go home, and they would have been released into the Gulf this summer.
Rescued sea turtle being treated at the Aquarium. Click for larger version.
But the disastrous oil spill marring the warm waters off of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida is forcing rescuers to change plans. Instead, the turtles will be staying, safe and sound, at the Sea Turtle Recovery Room at the Aquarium for a little while longer until rescuers find a safe alternative. (Read more about these turtles in limbo in a Boston Globe article published May 24, 2010.)
The Aquarium's sea turtle rescue room. Click for larger version.
That means that visitors still have a chance to see these young Kemp's ridley sea turtles at the Sea Turtle Recovery Room, right here at the Aquarium! Observe how rescue team members and volunteers feed the turtles, or watch them swim around their pens. You might even see turtles that are still getting treatment, like #57, who was featured in a recent Rescue Blog entry. Browse around the Marine Animal Rescue Team's blog to learn more about its efforts to save endangered sea turtles and other marine life, like dolphins and seals!
Aquarium News and Updates
Bookmark and Share
Display press releases
Hi-res photo collection
Members can use this form to sign up for the exclusive SeaMail e-newsletter.
Sign up for email updates
- ► 2015 (80)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2013 (103)
- ► 2012 (85)
- ► 2011 (65)
- There's a party coming to our city!
- Be Bold: Board a Working Research Vessel!
- Before there were dinosaurs...
- Right Whales in a Toxic Situation
- A Toast to Annie Aquarium, the Newest Duck Boat in...
- Endangered Turtles Extend Their Stay
- Aquarium's Turtle Expertise In Demand
- Aquarium biologist helps herring. Again.
- The New England Aquarium and the Gulf of Mexico Oi...
- Dora Explores the Aquarium!
- Tribute to Mothers on the Greenway
- Celebrate World Oceans Day at the Aquarium!
- Of corals and canaries
- ▼ May (13)
- ► 2009 (18)