Predicting Climate in a Chaotic World: How Certain Can We Be?
The New England Aquarium was pleased to welcome the MIT
Lorenz Center’s 2nd Annual John Carlson Lecture to the Simons IMAX
Theatre on Thursday, November 1. The speaker was Professor Timothy Palmer of the Royal Society of Research. Here is video of the special event, with more background below.
Understanding and predicting global climate change may be one of the most complex scientific challenges we face today. MIT’s School of Science recently launched the Lorenz Center, a new climate think tank devoted to fundamental inquiry. By emphasizing curiosity-driven research, the Center fosters creative approaches to learning how climate works.
This year’s lecturer, Timothy Palmer, discussed the key sources of uncertainty in making such predictions, how we estimate their impact and how we might reduce forecast uncertainties.
Edward Lorenz's pioneering work on systems with unpredictable and chaotic evolutions was motivated by skepticism about the use of statistical models to predict next month's weather. And yet, on the web and elsewhere, one can find predictions not only of next month's weather, but also of the human effect on long-term climate. Can we have any confidence at all in long-range predictions of weather? And should we believe these estimates of human-induced climate change, or is the whole notion of predicting long-term changes in climate misguided and unscientific?
Aquarium News and Updates
Bookmark and Share
Display press releases
Hi-res photo collection
Members can use this form to sign up for the exclusive SeaMail e-newsletter.
Sign up for email updates
- ► 2015 (80)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2013 (103)
- Members of the Week: Laura, Noah and Penelope
- Sea Turtle Stranding Season: Some Turtles Being Tr...
- Sea Turtle Rescue Season Ramping Up
- Construction Update: Aquarium to open at 10 a.m. o...
- Members of the Week: Julien and Reilly
- Members of the Week: Dianne and Carter
- Members of the Week: Rachel, Rishi and Devan
- First hypothermic turtles being treated at the Aqu...
- Climate Change Education Aquarium Hangout Video
- Members of the Week: Ann-Mara and Lara-Kate
- Special Aquarium Lecture Video: Predicting Climate...
- ▼ November (11)
- ► 2011 (65)
- ► 2010 (86)
- ► 2009 (18)