Aquarium News and Updates
Monday, April 11, 2011
In the Same Net: Biodiversity, ethics and the human spirit
Carl Safina, PhD
7:00 p.m. - live webcast
Scientist and author Carl Safina, PhD gave a talk about how fisheries, coral reefs, forests, climate change, poverty and peace are all facets of the same issue. The talk was part autobiography, Dr. Safina told the story of his global journey from fisherman to scientist to the realization that the changing ocean reflects the challenges facing not just sea life but all of humankind.
Dr. Safina also discussed how scientific findings have ethical implications, how religion and science are converging toward common cause on environmental matters and how moral responses can add momentum toward solutions that are becoming increasingly crucial.
The Aquarium has been providing free lectures and films by scientists, environmental writers, photographers and others since 1972. The Aquarium Lecture Series is presented free to the public through the generosity of the Lowell Institute, which has been providing funding for free public lectures at universities and museums since 1836. Register for upcoming lectures here.
Bookmark and Share
Display press releases
Hi-res photo collection
Members can use this form to sign up for the exclusive SeaMail e-newsletter.
Sign up for email updates
- ► 2015 (80)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2013 (103)
- ► 2012 (85)
- Celebrate World Oceans Day at the Aquarium!
- Aquarium Lecture: A World Without Fish with Author...
- Touching Sharks and Rays: Visitor photos and visit...
- The shark and ray touch tank is here! Come see it ...
- Aquarium Lecture Webcast: Carl Safina "In the Same...
- Born to Be Wild 3D Opens to Rave Reviews
- The Big Apple Circus is back in town!
- Lionfish - an invasive species
- Touch the sharks and rays and then see Sharks 3D a...
- Born to Be Wild 3D World Premiere at the New Engla...
- ▼ April (10)
- ► 2010 (86)
- ► 2009 (18)