There's a young penguin at the New England Aquarium that needs your help. One of these birds needs a creative, conservation-related name that will teach visitors about African penguins.
And that's where you come in!
Penguin chicks born at the Aquarium
We are really excited about our Penguin Naming Contest running through Sunday, 8/22. Folks like you can submit an educational name for one of our birds, and Aquarium biologists will choose their favorite name. A winner will be awarded a behind-the-scenes tour of the Aquarium’s penguin exhibit. If you think you have what it takes, here's the entry form, submit away!
We're not the only ones excited about our penguin naming contest. Just check out some of the recent news coverage:
Penguin Chicks to Make an Appearance at the Aquarium
Name Aquarium's New Penguin Chick
Name a Penguin for the New England Aquarium
Name a Penguin Chick in New England!
Name that Penguin Contest!
Don't forget, we're looking for names that can tell people a little bit about these birds — from penguin biology to some of the threats that wild birds face to their native habitat. For example, Pip is named after the lengthy exercise of a chick breaking out its shell, a process called pipping. Treasure is named after a ship that sank off South Africa in 2000, causing a devastating oil spill affecting thousands of African penguins.
Brush up on your penguin facts. Get creative. We can't wait to see what you come up with. Good luck!
Aquarium News and Updates
Bookmark and Share
Display press releases
Hi-res photo collection
Members can use this form to sign up for the exclusive SeaMail e-newsletter.
Sign up for email updates
- ► 2015 (80)
- ► 2014 (76)
- ► 2013 (103)
- ► 2012 (85)
- ► 2011 (65)
- Party After Dark at the Aquarium!
- 'Inception' hits the Simons IMAX Theatre
- Celebrate OVO before heading back to school!
- Penguin Pursuit Contest - Rained out!
- Join us at the New England Aquarium for a free pen...
- What's in an African penguin name?
- Win free tickets to Cirque du Soleil!
- The Cat in the Hat knows where it's at!
- Penguin Pursuit headed to a cool new location!
- Right Whale Researchers Migrate North
- PIPA named World Heritage Site
- New offer, exclusively for members!
- So many jellies!
- ▼ August (13)
- ► 2009 (18)